Hadrian's Wall

Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall at sunset

Sunday, July 1, 2012

My Dear Little Mother, the Miracle Girl.

Jean M. Quinn
1929-2102
My dear little mother passed away on June 22. Although she only stood 4'11", she was big in spirit and personality.

Eight of her children gathered at her deathbed in Utica, NY. We took turns comforting each other and remembering all her funny sayings and our growing up years in Tonawanda and East Amherst, NY.

She became the "Miracle Girl" at St. Elizabeth's in 2009, when she survived a major heart attack that would have killed most men. She thought she had the flu and so stayed home for two weeks until pulmonary edema sent her to the hospital.

She recovered and went on to live three more happy years, doing her crafts, cutting her lawn, and visiting her grandchildren.

My heart is sore and aching but I know she wouldn't want me to grieve too hard. So I won't. I will dedicate my next book to her, in memory of all she did to help me flourish in this life.

Rest in peace, Miracle Girl.

4 comments:

  1. Renee, I am so sorry for your loss. I know that she was an amazing woman because she raised an amazing daughter. We love you. Let me know if you need anything. Even if you need someone to have coffee with :) Shelley N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee,
    Just from reading what you wrote about your mother I know she must have been a wonderful woman of God, mother and grandmother. There will be many times when you will go to the phone to call her and then will remember with sadness in your heart that your mom is not there to answer the phone. This is because of all the beautiful memories you have of her. Your mom did a wonderful job of raising such a beautiful wife, mother, and friend.
    love ys Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, thank you. This was my little tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you and I promise to write back!