Hadrian's Wall

Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall at sunset

Sunday, May 20, 2012

First Author Earnings!

Wow! 

This week, after eight years of writing, two research trips, numerous Amazon purchases of research books, domain name costs, blogging expenses, magazine subscriptions, writing software, ACFW membership fees, printing fees, quires of paper, advertising costs, heartache, anxiety, writer's block and contest fees - da da!

This week I made my very first profit as a writer. Are you ready? *trumpet blast*
$36.18

Yep. You read it correctly. The totally amazing sum of $36.18. And you know what? I was thrilled to receive it.

I think writing, at least for me, might be one of those things that you get into and start doing BEFORE you know how difficult it is. Like marriage. And raising children. And maybe that's a good thing and quite possibly the Lord planned it that way. Because if we knew how hard it was to do some of those things, we might never have started. True commitment and true faithfulness only come AFTER you have that watershed moment when it dawns on you just how hard it it really is to do this thing.

There have been several times on this writing journey of mine when I considered giving up. Just chucking the whole thing and going back to the things that normal people do. You know, like housework, making dinner, going to a movie with your husband. Like being outside on a beautiful summer day instead of sitting in front of a computer screen.

And sometimes, knowing how much money I had already invested into this "writing career" of mine was the only thing that kept me going. That, and my critique partner, Stephanie (Check out her blog at www.stephanie-thornton.com) who recently signed a three book deal AT AUCTION!

I could mention the total sum of what I've spent on all those expenses mentioned above. But I hesitate to do that because I wouldn't want to frighten or discourage any would-be writers reading this blog.

I'd rather encourage them.





6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about getting into writing without knowing what the cost is. But congratulations anyway!! Profit is exciting!!
    I know I struggle everyday with my writing. I've actually put it off for years and years because I let life get in the way of my love of writing. I'm back at it now... Congratulations again on staying your course! May the future be full of more success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Renee!! Hang in there, gotta be more to come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Johanna! Is there anything I can do to help you? Critique?

    Thank you, Ginger, my dear friend. Always so faithful to support me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer! I do need a CP and have no idea where to start or what it entails. Keeping a schedule as a truck driver is sometimes rough, as I've found out. Any help is welcome.

      Delete
  4. Johanna - send me your regular email - mine is reneeyancy@reneeyancy.com and we can talk about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for $36.18!

    You know, I'm pretty sure that saying, "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" was written for writers. We writers must be bionic men and women!

    And thank you for the shout-out. Speaking of which... I'm waiting on another chapter in my in-box. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you and I promise to write back!