Hadrian's Wall

Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall at sunset

Monday, August 1, 2011

Reconnecting with an old friend

 Two days ago I received an email from my sister. My best friend from childhood had contacted her and asked for my email. Adele and I grew up in Tonawanda, NY, a suburb of Buffalo. Some of my earliest childhood memories revolve around Adele.

She was tall and beautiful and we were very good friends, up until her family moved to New City, NY. That was about 1963. We wrote letters a few times and then, as so often happens, we lost touch.

But I never forgot Adele. I always wondered how her life turned out and what she was doing.

Reconnecting with her on Sunday was the coolest thing ever. She sent me these two photos. In the photo above, we are Christmas caroling on our street, Findlay Avenue. That's Adele in the back on the right. That's me on the left.


Here we are in all our Easter Sunday finery - hats, gloves, purses and even flowers on our lapels. I remember going to Woolworth's with my Mom and picking out a new hat for Easter. That's me on the far left and Adele is in the red coat. Roberta, Deanna, my sister Bernadine, and Nancy Elardo make up the rest of our little group.

Here is Adele as she looks today. I  did a search on Facebook and pulled up about eight possible ladies. As soon as I saw this photo I knew it was Adele. Still absolutely beautiful with that dynamite smile! We are hoping that we can plan a reunion sometime in the future.

Isn't it funny when a blast from the past knocks on your door?

6 comments:

  1. Wow, those are really great photos! How a flood of memories comes back, looking at those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee

    Iam trying again, everyone I sent this to just loved it.The photos look great the way you have arranged them and they look like new. I am going to send Nancy Elardo your blog, I have her email somewhere. Does Bernadine have Deannas'.My daughter said she wrote a comment also, so I don't know what happened. I don't see leave a comment. I will email you more info this week. You have to tell me about your children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post reminded me of how I found several friends from my days in the Navy—all through the internet. That reminds me, I need to send an email to Carole. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you all enjoyed the post. Reconnecting with Adele really brightened up my weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have laugh. I too reconnected with Adele in 2008 - 37 years after she dumped me. This time we kicked off a global market meltdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, Pete. She always was a heartbreaker!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you and I promise to write back!