Hadrian's Wall

Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall at sunset

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Rejected Again!


Last week I received a rejection notice from the agent I'd really hoped was going to be my agent.

It was a very nice letter, and she kindly gave me some thoughts on how I could improve that particular manuscript, which is rare. Because usually you get an formula rejection letter. Or even worse, what seems to be happening most of the time now is that you don't hear anything.

But still. OUCH!

It still hurts each time, especially I had met this agent and spent time with her. So double ouch.

So what did I do?

I ran right out to the bookstore and bought books. Five books to be exact. And an American Bungalow magazine ( my fave). And two Rice Krispie treats at the bakery counter in the store.

I came home and started reading. I wanted to get lost in a story and there's nothing like a good book to take your mind off things. And that's what I've done all this past week. I read all those books and went to the library and got some more.

And now, tonight, I'm ready to plow back into the writing. Because I also want to write the kinds of books that take people away to another place. And all I know for sure is that if I give up now, I will never be published.

So if at first, or for the first 50 times, you don't succeed, try, try again.

4 comments:

  1. Renee, don't give up! I only read the first book, but I really liked it and I know other people will when they finally get a chance to read it. Not if, when.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger, you are such a sweet, dear friend! Always encouraging! Hugs and kisses at ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally don't get it! Your first draft was as good as or better than most - what are they looking for??? Keep writing Renee, the right agent will come... Can't wait to see you in print : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Wendy! I'm not giving up!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you and I promise to write back!