Hadrian's Wall

Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall at sunset

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Lazy, hazy days of summer.


Last summer my husband and I spent a few idyllic days at the lake home of a good friend, Karen Beebe. The cottage sits on Highland Lake, nestled in the woods of New Hampshire. Highland Lake is a jewel of a lake, quiet, serene, and the perfect place to spend a few days with treasured friends, Karen, and Doreen Weiss. Karen and Doreen could run an elegant bed and breakfast if they chose to. They have a unique way of making their guests feel pampered.

All we did was eat and talk and drink wine and it was wonderful. Doreen also built a fire, as you can see above. Karen gave us a tour of the lake on her boat. We always do the same thing - pick out the lake front home we like the best. There is a tiny bungalow that I am drawn to.

Even though New Hampshire was in the middle of a rainy period, the sun came out the last day we were there. When the lake is quiet in the evenings, you can listen for the loons. I only wish that we could have stayed longer!

I miss all the seasonal happenings in New Hampshire. The smell of a wood fire in the winter, the leaves in autumn, going to pick apples in October, and seeing the tin buckets hanging on the maple trees in March. Even though there could be a foot or two of snow on the ground, when I saw those buckets I knew spring was coming and it never failed to give me a thrill.

For any of my Kentucky friends reading this, I encourage you to plan a trip to New England soon.

You will fall in love with it.

Maybe Karen and Doreen will let you stay with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you and I promise to write back!