Hadrian's Wall

Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall at sunset

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

You can never get to the end of God.

Psalm 139 says:

"Where can I go from Your spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?

If I ascend into heaven, You are there.

If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there Your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me."

The photo above is an electron microscope picture taken at 1000X magnification. The pointy spheres are grains of birch tree pollen, resting on the stigma of a passionflower. The little green things on the bottom right are passionflower pollen. How amazing is that?

Scientists are developing ever greater magnification abilities and guess what? As far down as you can go, there is no end to the structures they find. It's infinite.

Conversely, looking out into the skies beyond, new galaxies and star clusters are being discovered daily. The bottom photo is from NASA. It's a massive cluster of galaxies called Abell 1689. It is 2.3 BILLION LIGHT YEARS away from earth. I can barely get my mind around that.

And here's the truly amazing thing. God is there. As far down as you can go. As far out as you can go. God has already been there. I look at the perfection of the birch pollen - its tiny spikes made to catch hold of the flower's stigma. How can that be random?
I try to remember this at times when I have allowed God to be too small in my own life. I know that as a finite being, I will never be able to truly comprehend infinity until I see Him.



But these photos help me remember what an awesome God I serve.


That nothing is impossible with Him.


And nothing is too hard for Him, either!











1 comment:

  1. Renee,
    I love this post. It is a fascinating concept that no matter how small or how large God is there. A new perception for me. Thank you!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you and I promise to write back!